Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Home Vacuum Zone have researched the most popular robot vacuums in the market in 2015, including vacuum experts and product reviewers as well as published consumer feedback from retail sites. We have compiled a summary of all of this information and data for the following 3 Robot Vacuum Reviews of robots from the manufacturers iRobot, Neato and Samsung that will suit a range of budgets.
In these Best Robot Vacuum Reviews we look at two popular models from iRobot (Roomba) and Neato. However there are many more models from these two leading robot vacuum manufacturers to choose from. If you want the full comparison of Roomba versus Neato Robot Vacs then check out this detailed review.
iRobot have been in the robot vacuum cleaning market since the launch of the original Roomba in 2002 and have sold over 10 million units worldwide. They make the most recognisable bot in the robot vacuum game. The Roomba 880 is the 6th generation Roomba and was launched in 2014.
The Roomba vacuum has a patented AeroForce Performance Cleaning System, which delivers maximum cleaning performance by combining the power of new AeroForce Extractors with airflow acceleration and a high efficiency vacuum.
Adapt Responsive Navigation Technology enables Roomba to find its way around any shape or size of home, covering every area of floor multiple times for a complete clean.
iRobot XLife Extended Life Battery delivers twice as many cleaning cycles as previous Roomba batteries, doubling the time before you may need to replace your Roomba battery. However, this does not mean an extended runtime, which remains the same between charges.
Scheduling enables you to preset Roomba to clean when it is most convenient for you, up to seven times a week. Automatic Docking returns Roomba to its Home Base to recharge between cleaning sessions.
Specific features include:
- Cliff detecting technology prevents your Roomba from falling down the stairs
- Roomba’s wall-following technology allows it to clean along edges and corners
- Roomba self-adjusts between floor types, providing optimized cleaning
- Virtual Wall Lighthouses keep Roomba confined to the area you want to clean.
- Control Roomba by infrared remote without getting up
- Roomba can be scheduled to perform up to seven cleaning sessions per week
- The main strength of the Roomba is the dust sensor or sensors. When it sees dirt it will spin round and round until not further dirt is detected.
- Lighthouse/area dividing system works well
- Great job on wood floors, handles cat hair very well
- Intelligence not improved from earlier models
- small dust bin - expect to empty it often if you have pets
- Bumps into obstacles and can mark furniture
The iRobot Roomba 880 is a significant investment in your vacuuming arsenal retailing at $699. However Amazon usually offer a discount to this RRP - check their latest competitive price here.
If you like the Roomba style of robot vacuum there are other models in the range - check out our Roomba Model Comparison for a detailed look at the current models available 2016.
Neato are a dedicated robot vacuum manufacturer that have been in the market since the launch of their XV-Series in 2010. Their latest models, released in July 2015, are the Botvac D-Series that comes in 3 options, either the D85, D80 or D75. Neato market their new range as their “smartest, most powerful vacuum yet” due to their new patented SpinFlow Technology, which combine potent suction and precision brushes leaving floors immaculately clean.
All Neato robot vacuum models make use of patented laser-guided technology, which scans and maps the room, plans, and methodically cleans—instead of just bumping around. The Neato range promote the shape of their vacuums as advantageous over the circular shape of some of their competitors (such as the iRobot Roomba) citing improved edge cleaning. Neato's D-shape allows for a front-brush design with a 50% larger brush (compared to many round robots) that they report gets as close as 10mm to walls and into corners. They compare this to round models, which they say can only get as close as 98mm. Neato's design also makes room for an extra-large dirt bin (0.7L).
There are two main factors differentiating the 3 models from one another: the combo brushes, designed specifically for pet hair, and the number of high-performance filters. D85, as the bigger number implies comes with 3 high-performance filters, all others come with only 1, however the filters can be bought separately, which may prove more economical than paying the extra cost for the D85. The combo brush comes with both the D85 and D80 but not the D75. As the combo brush is specifically for pet hairs, if you’re trying to save money and have no pets in your house or allergy sufferers, the D75 might be a good option.
- SpinFlow technology combines potent suction and precision brushes to leave floors immaculately clean.
- 50% larger brush gets closer to the wall than those round robot vacuums.
- Bigger-is-better dirt bin holds more and is easy to empty.
- Extra-large filter captures more dust and allergens.
- Precise edge cleaning side brush makes sure not a speck of dust escapes its path
- Easily schedule daily cleanings or just push a button for instant multi-room or spot cleaning.
- Automatically goes back to its charge base to juice up then returns to where it left off and finishes the job.
- Easy-to-use boundary markers keep it where you want and away from place you don’t—like pet bowls, cords, and toys. Just drop them down. Nothing complicated about it.
- 1h charge time, charger, charge base, up to 90 minutes of continuous cleaning
- Superior navigation
- Side Spinning brushes
- New brush design is more robust than previous models
- Easy maintenance
- Great performance on hard floors
- Does not have a dirt detect sensor that allows it to concentrate in that area more
- No remote control
- Doesn’t work on dark shiny surfaces (this is confirmed in the manual). Do not buy this product if you have very dark floors.
The Neato Botvac D-Series vacuum cleaner is the best value, high performing robot vacuum cleaner currently in the market. The Neato Botvac D80, which is would be our choice for those with pets is available at a competitive price from Amazon here.
The Samaung Powerbot VR9000 is the most expensive of the 3 robots we have researched in our robot vacuum reviews but it offers powerful robotic cleaning, which Samsung claim to be 60 times more powerful than the average vacuum. As can be seen from the performance comparison reviews we've included at the end of this review, it cleans very well on hard floors and carpets and comes out on top in the Top 10 Review tests.
Visionary mapping plus system contains an onboard digital camera and ten individual smart sensors help it determine the optimal cleaning path by creating a complete map of your home, including walls, furniture and stairways.
There are 4 cleaning modes to choose from: max clean, spot clean, auto (which cleans to the VR9000’s satisfaction that the area has been covered) and manual clean. The remote control allows you to fully control the VR9000 for scheduling cleaning times, direct it on manual mode, set the max cleaning with the “dust sensor”.
The remote allows you to set the cleaning mode and ‘drive’ the VR9000 to where it you want to vacuum. It will then set a pattern and clean that area.
- CycloneForce™ for powerful suction that lasts
- Easy Pass wheels for seamless transition from carpets to hard floors and rolling over obstacles with ease
- FullView Sensor™ Technology to avoid obstacles
- Calculates the most efficient cleaning route using Visionary Mapping Plus
- Option to direct using a remote control light beam
- Digital Inverter Motor comes with a 10 year warranty on the compressor
- A Virtual Guard™ stops it going into areas that you choose.
- Cautious navigation and gentle collisions
- Remote control features point & go
- Powerful suction
- Height of unit means it can't fit under some furniture
- Price - expensive
The Samsung Powerbot VR9000 vacuum cleaner is at the high end of the price range for robot vacuums, however appears a worthy investment choice based on technical tests and customer feedback. See the latest competitive price for this unit on Amazon here
Robot Vacuum Reviews - Features Compared
The table that we have compiled below compares some of the key features in our robot vacuum reviews:
Neato Botvac D-Series
iRobot Roomba 880
Samsung Powerbot VR9000
NiMH (nickel metal hydride)
X-Life Extended life NiMH
60 Minutes (100 Minutes in Silent Mode)
0.4l (14 oz)
Robot 1 Year Limited
Battery 6 Month Limited
Robot 1 Year Limited
Battery 6 Month Limited
10 years (motor)
1 year (other parts)
Looking for More Quality Robot Vacuum Reviews?
If you're interested in comparing the features of the Roomba and Neato models featured in these Robot Vacuum Reviews as well as the other latest models from these top manufacturers then we recommending reading these other articles:
Robot Vacuum Reviews - Performance Compared
We've compiled some of the performance reviews and testing data on our 3 recommended robot vacuums from various sources (including cnet.com and top10reviews.com) and provided this below to provide all of the information available in one place for you to decide if a robot vacuum is right for you. As is our aim at homevacuumzone.com - we do the research so you don't have to!
Neato Botvac D85
iRobot Roomba 880
Samsung Powerbot VR9000
Rice (out of 2.5 oz)
Pet Hair (out of 0.2 oz)
Sand (out of 1.25 oz)
Cnet.com & Top 10 Reviews - Data Summarised by Home Vacuum Zone
Last update on 2020-07-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API