Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
You’ve finally bought a new carpet, eager to put it down and let it light up your living room. And then the inevitable happens — you spill or drop something, and before you know it, the carpet is covered in stains. But you will be surprised to know that there is a solution, and it resides in your kitchen cabinet!
Can’t clean those pesky stains off? Use baking soda!
Some of life’s ills are easier to fix with a quick solution that doesn’t involve too much work or money but instead involves a neat trick. Baking soda is one of those quick fixes that will save you money, as there is no need to pay for professional cleaning services every time something unexpected happens. You can take care of this mess all by yourself.
Here is a quick guide to help you clean the carpet at home and restore its color and freshness. The main ingredient in this solution is baking soda, which is all-natural, easy to obtain, and has many cleaning and deodorizing properties.
How to Clean a Carpet With Baking Soda
These tricks will allow you to clean your carpets (and upholstery and walls, as well) effectively and remove stains that cannot be gotten rid of otherwise. These instructions will show you how to clean your carpet with the help of baking soda.
- In a spray bottle, add a cup of baking soda with 1/4 cup of vinegar. Add some water and mix it until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Mix the baking soda and vinegar solution with a wet mop or spray bottle. Use it to clean your floors and tile.
- The mixture can also be used to scrub up those hard-to-reach spots in your kitchen. Once those bad guys are on the counter, spray the mixture in your hand and dash around where you need it.
- This solution works great on tough stains like red wine and coffee. Scrub the mixture into the stained area, sit for five minutes, and scrub again with a damp cloth.
- Sprinkle baking soda powder over the stain and let it sit for half an hour before vacuuming. This will act as a neutralizer and absorb any lingering odor.
- Use this mixture to clean your carpets as well. These cleaners are safe for food and family-friendly. You’ll be surprised at how well they work!
Reasons Why You Should Clean Your Carpet With Baking Soda
There are a few reasons you should clean your carpet with baking soda. The first is that it works! Baking soda has long been an effective and inexpensive cleaning agent, particularly in the kitchen, homes, and carpets.
It can deep-clean carpets by breaking down dirt and staining as nothing else can. You need to sprinkle the baking soda powder on your carpet, let it stay for a few hours, and then vacuum the mess.
- Baking soda can also be used as a deodorizer. You will get rid of odors and all that dirt and grime that produces those odors in your home. It will also leave a fresh smell that you won’t find offensive at all. The first time I used it, I was astounded by how fresh my carpet smelled after it was vacuumed up.
- Baking soda can be used as a pet carpet cleaner. You may have heard of using vinegar to clean up pet accidents, but baking soda works just as quickly. You will have to mix it with a little water first, but after that, it’s just a matter of letting it sit on the area and letting the baking soda do its job.
- Baking soda also fights against mold and mildew. It may be used in addition to other mold cleaners and is safe for carpeting.
- Baking soda is a deodorizer for your carpets. It will leave them smelling fresh after you shampoo them, but this isn’t the only reason why you should care about the smell of your carpets. After all, a clean carpet that doesn’t smell nice should be replaced as soon as possible, so there’s no reason why you shouldn’t try to find a way to make your carpet smell better.
What Are the Benefits of Cleaning Your Carpet With Baking Soda?
Baking soda is a natural additive
Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent that you can add to your carpet cleaning process. It will remove stains and odors from your carpet without exposing yourself to harmful chemicals. As a result, cleaning your carpet will not leave any side effects on you or your family members.
Baking soda is an effective alternative to harsh chemicals
Baking soda is a gentle, homemade cleaning agent that you can use in the cleaning process of your carpet. It will not only remove stains, but it’ll also help to maintain the value of your carpet. Therefore, you can use baking soda comfortably, and you will be sure to achieve wonderful results on your carpet.
Baking soda is a DIY cleaning solution
Baking soda is a perfect DIY cleaning solution that you can use in your carpet cleaning process. You can make this homemade product by simply mixing baking soda with water and rubbing it onto the carpet that needs to be cleaned. In addition, baking soda is available in different forms such as powder, liquid, and crushed form.
Can Baking Soda Harm Your Carpet?
One can use a mixture of baking soda to clean carpets. It’s a great idea because it’s cheap, safe, environmentally friendly, and keeps the carpets fluffy and soft. However, there are some disadvantages to using pure baking soda if you’re not careful.
Carpets become dirty quicker
One major drawback is that your carpets may get dirty again faster with this cleaner than they would have without it. The reason for this is that baking soda is a mild abrasive and can wear down your carpets over time.
It can cause minor damage to carpet fibers
Baking soda also has a pH of 9-10, which is alkaline. Although it’s not as high as ammonia or bleach, this pH can cause some minor damage to your carpet fibers. Baking soda itself is a strong alkaline cleaner, but it doesn’t leave behind residue in the same way that ammonia does.
You need to be quick
A baking soda/water mix is only suitable for about five minutes. After that time, it can leave your carpet with a slight odor and may even discolor it slightly. Using plain water in your carpet cleaning mixture will remove any residue from the baking soda, leaving your carpet stain-free and clean for hours after cleaning.
It can cause allergies
Baking soda is a stimulant for some people’s allergies. If you’re allergic to dust mites or other allergens, baking soda could cause particular problems when using it to clean your carpets.
Despite this, many people regularly use baking soda on their carpets. You may want to determine what your allergies are before using it as a cleaning solution.
Vacuuming your carpet can be a hassle, especially when you have to do it regularly. Vacuum cleaner bags are expensive, and not everyone likes replacing them.
Baking soda is a powerful, homemade cleaning agent that can remove stains and odors from your carpet. However, you should be reasonable with it, as it can trigger allergies in some individuals, and can be a mild abrasive if you rub with too much intensity.