Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
A high pile carpet can give a grand look to your home. They are often softer and more durable than regular household carpets. If you have high pile carpets in your home like me, you will want to take extra care of them.
High pile carpets have thicker fabric. There is also more space in between strands, which can allow for extra dust accumulation.
Dust and dirt can lead to serious health problems such as respiratory issues and allergies. I was looking for vacuum cleaners to effectively clean these carpets and came across several of them.
I finally went with a SEBO, a powerful vacuum cleaner specialized to extract more dirt and germs from the carpet, but the list below is my final shortlist of the six best vacuum cleaners for high pile carpets.
What to Look Out For When Purchasing a Vacuum Cleaner for a High Pile Carpet
A high pile carpet home needs a powerful vacuum cleaner. The main reason is that a high pile carpet is made from thick fabric where the space between each thread is also larger. Due to this design, these carpets accumulate a higher amount of dirt, debris, germs, bacteria, and mold.
Hence, for cleaning a high pile carpet, go for a cleaner that operates at 1000 Watts or more. You will be able to remove all these pesky dust mites with the help of a vacuum cleaner that has a higher suction ability.
For those with a pet, pet hair can be an issue for cleaning your high pile carpet. Vacuum cleaners with a powerful motor are more effective in removing pet hair.
Tangle Free Brush
Having a tangle-free brush with adjustable brush height is an important and handy tool for a high pile carpet cleaning vacuum.
Since high pile carpets have longer strands, normal brushes can easily get tangled while vacuuming. You will also want a cleaner that has a special detachable brush for carpets. Furthermore, it needs to be height adjustable, again because the strands are taller than on regular carpets.
Extra Large Dust Collector
Get ready to wrestle with your high pile carpet! I know from experience that high pile carpets are collectors of dirt and grime, and therefore you need to have a bigger collector because even 1 or 2 rooms of these will fill up an entire dust collector basket in some of the smaller vacuum cleaners that I have seen.
The vacuum cleaner you select should also be handy. A lightweight vacuum will be much easier to push on a high pile carpet. You may also find that a vacuum cleaner that is lighter in weight can be easily lifted to clean upholstery or stairs.
The main issue with upholstery cleaning is that if you use a vacuum cleaner to clean curtains or carpets, you will not want to remove them for cleaning. With a lighter vacuum cleaner, you’ll be able to clean such items without removing them. This is best achieved with the use of a vacuum’s detachable hose and attachment tools.
The functionality of a vacuum cleaner also increases if they have a good ground clearance height. As a result you can squeeze or slide your vacuum cleaner underneath your furniture and remove all dirt effectively.
Easy to Maintain
Ideally, the vacuum cleaner you are using should be easy to carry and store.
You’ll find the vacuum cleaners listed below to be easy to clean and maintain as they have removable brushes, filters and nozzles.
You should also use vacuum cleaners that come with efficient filters. Most of the vacuum cleaners on this list employ a HEPA filter. This type of filter claims to trap even the most minute particles of dust, germs, and bacteria. It captures particles that are as small as 0.3 microns in size. You will get hospital-grade filtration with such vacuum cleaners.
Some vacuum cleaners in the below list have S-class filtration. These vacuum cleaners can clean 99.97% of all harmful bacteria in your high pile carpets. High pile carpets have more dust and germs in them as the spaces in between the threads of the carpet are very large.
Easy to Use
You’ll find these vacuum cleaners to be very easy to use. They have simple controls and user panels.
This vacuum cleaner ranks among the best vacuum cleaners for a high pile carpet because it has a powerful 1400W motor and strong suction capacity. With this vacuum cleaner, you will be able to easily remove all deep-lying dust, bacteria, germs, and debris from your high pile carpets.
This vacuum cleaner also has a self-cleaning brush roll engineered to pick and clean pet hair with no hair wrapping. In other cleaners I have used, when hair wraps around the brush, you have to either cut those hairs or unwrap them. But the unique design of this brush roll makes it superbly easy to clean.
The brush also has what Shark calls DuoClean Powerfin. The dual power fins suck air from the sides, while the soft roller cleans underneath, making this vacuum cleaner ideal for all types of flooring and carpets.
The brushes on this vacuum cleaner can maintain continuous contact which lets the cleaner dig deep into the thick piles and extract dirt.
There is a detachable pod that allows you to comfortably clean under your furniture, stairs, and upholstery. You’ll also get a pet crevice tool with this vacuum cleaner. This tool helps you to remove pet hair from the brush.
It has a huge 1-quart tank for storing dust which lets you clean thicker carpets longer. It also has a HEPA filter to trap and clean 99.99% of allergens and dust inside the house.
- Includes pet crevice tool: Yes.
- Dust capacity: 1 quart of dust.
- Filter: HEPA filter.
- Power: 1344 Watts
- Includes: Power brush and dusting brush.
- Upright vacuum cleaner: Yes.
- Cordless: No.
- Weight: 16.38 pounds.
- Cord length: 30 feet.
- Voltage: 11.8 amps.
- Dimensions: 12 × 15.09 × 46.25 inches.
- Warranty: Five years.
- It has a powerful motor and dual-action cleaning power.
- You’ll maneuver this vacuum cleaner with ease with its active glide technology.
- It has HEPA filtering.
- You can detach the nozzle on this vacuum cleaner to clean your furniture or on the stairs.
- It also has a self-cleaning brush roll.
- This vacuum cleaner may overheat.
- It is not cordless.
- You may find this vacuum cleaner to be a bit noisy.
This vacuum cleaner is ideal for cleaning high pile carpets, because it uses Sonic technology to blast dust and dirt particles, cutting them loose and then picking them up with ease from deep inside the carpet. We rated the Soniclean previously as one of the best vacuums for carpet but it really excels at high pile carpet.
This vacuum cleaner is most effective on carpets with a pile length of less than 1 inch. It employs a proprietary sonic carpet cleaning technology that uses a sonic bar at the bottom of the vacuum cleaner that produces 200 vibrations per second! Impressive.
This cleaner uses ultra-soft bristles on its brush, which are extra gentle on the carpet piles, thus ensuring that your premium, high-end carpet threads are safe from tangling and breakage. At the same time, the bristles on the removable brush are also effective for cleaning particles that are tougher to vacuum.
I loved that this vacuum cleaner is super lightweight (just 10 pounds), which allows me to easily push and pull even on thick carpets. It can be moved around very easily if you are living in a place with multiple rooms.
This vacuum cleaner has HEPA filtration, and this system can capture 99.97% of germs and bacteria as small as 0.3 microns in diameter. This vacuum cleaner is ideal for people suffering from any type of allergy.
- Filter: HEPA filter.
- Weight: 10.5 pounds.
- Powerful sonic bar: Yes.
- Power: 1440 Watts
- Vibrations: 200 vibrations per second.
- Vacuum cleaner style: Upright vacuum cleaner.
- Bristle type: Soft bristle brush roll.
- Power cord length: 35 feet.
- Ground clearance level: 7 inches.
- Dimensions: 11.5× 14× 43.5 inches.
- Warranty: Five-year motor warranty.
- This vacuum cleaner has a dual-action design (sonic + brush).
- It has an ergonomic design for easy pushing and pulling on thicker surfaces.
- This vacuum cleaner has a powerful motor.
- It uses high-frequency sonic vibrations to remove dirt and bacteria.
- It has a hospital-grade HEPA filter system.
- The motor on this vacuum cleaner might fail if not used properly.
- Some people might experience some difficulties while operating this vacuum cleaner.
- This vacuum cleaner might overheat if you use it continuously.
This is one of the only two wireless vacuum cleaners on our list, but it has a great reason for being here – its laser technology!
The Dyson V15 is ideal for cleaning high pile carpets as this cleaner projects a laser that helps users spot microscopic dust particles (in the dark) – you might be grossed out at first but will be thankful you bought this device! The cleaner packs a punch and you’ll be able to reach these particles and remove them from your floor or carpets more efficiently than other vacuums without this technology.
The device is compact for its power. This helps you reach and clean every corner and crevice of your home. For its size, it has a strong suction capacity of 150 AW. It can remove any sort of debris lying in your premium carpets.
The brush’s unique design covers a 360° angle, which makes sure that you can get all the dirt in one swipe instead of having to swipe multiple times on the same spot. Less effort and more time for yourself? Check!.
The bristles on the brush of this vacuum cleaner are soft and gentle on the fabric of your carpet. It operates on lithium-ion batteries, which take just about 4 hours to recharge, after which you are ready to go again. You’ll find the filtration system on this vacuum cleaner to be very effective. It has a HEPA filter that filters out most of the harmful particles from the vacuum cleaner.
- Cordless: Yes.
- Batteries: lithium-ion batteries.
- Charge time: 4 hrs
- Suction power: 150 AW
- Dimensions:11× 6.5× 37 inches.
- Weight: 1.9 pounds.
- Vacuum cleaner style: Stick form factor.
- Surface type: Ideal for all types of surfaces.
- Warranty: Yes.
- Includes: Soft bristle brush and nozzle.
- This vacuum cleaner is very lightweight.
- It is easy to lift and use.
- This functional vacuum cleaner has a powerful suction capacity.
- It has a stick-like easy to use form factor.
- You’ll find the profile of this vacuum cleaner to be smaller.
- If you live in a big house, this device may not be for you. You won’t want to wait four hours to charge the vacuum after cleaning every couple of rooms.
- The laser may startle pets in your house.
#4 – Sebo X7 Boost Automatic Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Sebo automatic vacuum cleaners are recommended specifically for high pile carpets. The X7 Boost is specially designed for cleaning plush, thick, cut piles, heavy and twisted carpets, and upholstery.
You can control the height of this vacuum cleaner’s brush electronically. This feature will enable the vacuum cleaner to identify the height of the floor and the height of the carpet strands, thus letting it clean your carpet without getting tangles all over the brush and without damaging the carpet.
It can even raise or lower its brush automatically!
I loved that this cleaner seems to pick up all pet hair like magic – I have never seen a vacuum cleaner that did such a good job with pet hair. This is especially a benefit for those who suffer from asthma and dust allergies.
This high-tech vacuum cleaner has a powerful 890W motor that delivers high performance. The unique design of this vacuum cleaner combines airflow and outstanding cleaning results.
It has rubber wheels and bumpers on its sides that protect your cleaner and other household objects as you go about your cleaning task. It also has a flatter profile on the floor, so you can squeeze it underneath your furniture and extract dirt with relative ease.
You can easily operate it with the simple press of a button. You can also remove the front brush roller from this cleaner. After taking this roller out, you can clean it and then put it back.
- Cleaning range: 13 meters.
- Dust filter capacity: 5.3 liters.
- Weight: 16.31 pounds.
- LED searchlights: Yes.
- Power: 890-watt motor.
- Filter: S-class filtration.
- Removable brush roller: Yes.
- Power cord: Extra-long power cord.
- Material: ABS plastic.
- Promoted by several high-end high pile carpet manufacturers to be the best in class for high pile carpets.
- This vacuum cleaner is effective for cleaning plush, thick or hard carpets.
- It has a high-quality filtering system that traps even minute dust particles.
- It has a powerful motor and strong construction.
- It has an indicator light to tell you when to empty your dust collector
- 100% pet hair removal, and you better believe it.
- It keeps people with allergies safe from allergens.
- It may be a bit heavy to handle for some people.
- People who sleep light might not be able to sleep with this vacuum cleaner working, because it can be a bit noisy.
#5 – Sebo K3 Premium Barrel
Sebo K3 premium is a fantastic cleaner for people suffering from asthma or some sort of allergy as it captures elements that could aggravate these conditions. You will find that this vacuum cleaner collects 100% of pet hair lying on your floor and carpets, just like its heavier brother: the SEBO X7 Boost.
You can comfortably use this vacuum cleaner on a high pile carpet, as it has a vacuum brush that will not harm the fabric and the threads of your premium carpet. It has a powerful brush that removes dirt, grime, hair, and bacteria while keeping your carpet intact.
The controls are super simple to use and are designed so that you can operate them with one hand. You can mellow down the suction power when using it on the floor and crank it up when you go over the carpet. You won’t have to bend or sit down to adjust these settings, and you can just stand and change these settings on the handle.
Another good thing is that if your home has both high and low pile carpets, having adjustable suction lets you use your vacuum cleaner on both without damaging either. For instance, if you are using the cleaner on a soft carpet, then you should reduce the power on the vacuum cleaner.
Sebo has fitted these vacuum cleaners with their own proprietary S-class filtration system that clean 99.99% of all pollutants as small as 0.3 microns. This filter is electrostatically charged and made from microfiber materials. Due to these features, this vacuum cleaner filter can attract and capture dust particles.
This functional vacuum cleaner comes with an extra-long hose, so you get a larger cleaning radius and can clean your home in places that are more difficult to reach.
- Cleaning range: 10.8 meters.
- Capacity for the filter bag: 3 liters.
- Power of the suction motor: 1900 watts.
- Weight: 12.12 pounds.
- Special motor protection: Yes.
- Cordless: No.
- Longer cord: Yes.
- Filter: S-class filter.
- Includes: Nozzle and upholstery tool with this vacuum cleaner.
- Floor preference: Ideal for all types of flooring.
- Works well with both high and low pile carpets
- 1900W super powerful motor that sucks dirt like a dust monster.
- You can change the suction power to suit different terrains in your house.
- Long hose to reach hard to clean places
- Easy to operate
- It has a powerful motor, but it might overheat in summers.
- This vacuum cleaner can be a bit heavy to handle for some people.
#6 – Sebo Felix Vacuum Cleaner
This Sebo Felix vacuum cleaner is an awesome upright vacuum cleaner. It will provide you with high performance and maneuverability on all floor types.
This vacuum cleaner is asthma and allergy-friendly. Just like the other two offerings from Sebo, this vacuum cleaner will also be able to collect 100% of pet hair.
You will find this carpet specializing in wool carpets. This vacuum cleaner has a powerful power brush. You will find this vacuum cleaner perfect for cleaning a high pile carpet. Its rotating brush roller removes all the dirt and grime from your carpet.
What stuck out to me about this vacuum cleaner is that it has an ergonomic power control. This ergonomic power control enables full control over the suction capacity of this vacuum cleaner. While you will be operating on this vacuum cleaner, you will not have to bend down and adjust the settings on this vacuum cleaner.
This vacuum cleaner has an S-class filtering system. The filter on this vacuum cleaner works via electrostatic charge. Its microfiber material attracts and captures all minute dust particles. This vacuum cleaner also has bumper protection and rubber wheels surrounding the power brush. This vacuum cleaner has a flat top floor profile. With this vacuum cleaner, you’ll be able to get under beds, couches, and other furniture with ease. With the unique design of this vacuum cleaner, you will get a spectacular cleaning experience.
- Cleaning range: 11 meters
- Filter Bag volume: 3.5 liters
- Width of the brush: 31 CM
- Motor power: 1000 watts
- Bodyweight: 15 pounds
- Power: 1000 Watts
- Overheating protection: Yes
- Suitable on all types of flooring and upholstery.
- Filter: S class filter.
- It can lie flat on any surface, which lets you clean under hard-to-reach areas.
- The brush roller is easy to replace when it gets worn out.
- It collects all pet hair, just like the two others from Sebo.
- It is very easy to maneuver.
- Their S-class filtration is better than HEPA in my opinion.
- You may find this vacuum cleaner to be a bit heavy.
- It’s designed to work well on all surfaces but is not as powerful as the Sebo K3 or X7 Boost.
I hope this list of vacuums will guide you towards the best option for your high pile carpets. To conclude, the Sebo X7 Boost is my favorite unit and my personal pick for my home. It was specifically designed for high pile carpets, and the automatic height adjustment really works well.
Last update on 2023-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API