Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Who doesn’t like the feeling of sand between their toes on a beach? But while it can be pleasant when outdoors, the same sand can be bothersome when it gets into your house. In the US there are 30 coastal states and an ocean coastline of 12000 miles. If you live near beaches, then getting sand in your home could be an everyday problem for you.
If you live in a coastal area, then no matter how much you try to avoid it, sand has a way of getting inside your home with blowing winds or by tracking with your shoes or clothes when you come back from a beach trip.
Sand particles are also stubborn and it’s quite tough to remove them from the floors and carpets. Since sand particles can be both soft and heavy depending upon their origin, you would need a vacuum cleaner with high suction power to properly clean your house. Heavy particles of sand can damage a low-end vacuum cleaner.
For this article, we’ve identified the best vacuum cleaners for picking up sand that we have tried and tested.
Dyson V15 detect is a new flagship cordless vacuum cleaner that allows you to reach places above the floor like mattresses or furniture to collect sand and other dust from your house effectively.
It has a laser slim fluffy head that uses laser technology to detect small dust particles that are not visible to the naked eye. Not only does the vacuum cleaner clean the house, but it also counts the particles it sucked to present proof of a deep clean.
The charging time of this vacuum cleaner is about 4.5 hours, and it offers a run time of up to 60 minutes depending upon the cleaning mode you operate it on. Replacing the battery in this vacuum cleaner is super easy with click-on batteries.
Since I have pets, having the hair screw tool was an added bonus to remove all the pet hair from carpets, mattresses, and just about anywhere from the house.
Sand Pickup Tests
Our review of test data confirmed that the Dyson V15 performs better than its predecessors when it comes to picking up sand.
The carpet test used 100 grams of fine sand rubbed on mid pile carpet and it collected 100% in all 3 power modes (eco, auto and max). The Dyson V11 had slightly reduced performance compared to the V15 for sand pickup in Eco and Auto Modes (94% and 99.97% respectively).
Furthermore the V15 did similarly well at picking up sand in the hard floor tests. It achieved 99.8% for both the laser slim fluffy and high torque nozzles. However the laser fluffy head required fewer passes than the high torque nozzle, which is not surprising as it is designed specifically for hard floors.
Check out our in-depth review of the Dyson V15 for further details.
- Weight: 6.8 pounds
- Dust/Dirt Capacity: 0.9 quarts
- Type of filtration (HEPA or Non-HEPA): HEPA
- Bagged or Bagless: Bagless
- Power: 230 AW
- Warranty Length: 2 year
- Included tools and attachments: High torque cleaner, hair screw tool, laser slim fluffy, mini soft dusting brush, crevice tool, stubborn dirt tool, combination tool
- Charge Time: 4.5 hours
- Run Time: Up to 60 minutes
- It has a laser fluffy head, which detects even smaller particles of dust and sucks them up.
- The hair screw tool works great to suck all the pet hair.
- It works on 230 AW suction power.
- One single battery pack lasts for about 60 minutes depending on the cleaning mode.
- Charging one battery pack takes about 4.5 hours and you can use multiple battery packs for longer cleaning.
- It does not contain bags, so emptying the dirt cup can be messy and cause allergic reactions in some people.
Another great vacuum cleaner for picking up sand from your beach house is the Shark upright vacuum cleaner. With a powerful motor of 1344 watts, this vacuum cleaner has some of the best suction power to lift up heavy sand particles with ease.
This vacuum cleaner comes with a detachable nozzle and pod which allows cleaning under the furniture and higher surfaces. It also has a self-cleaning pet power brush that efficiently lifts all pet hairs from your carpets, upholstery, and hard floors.
It has an anti-allergen complete seal with HEPA filtration that sucks up about 99.99 percent of allergens present in your house. I find that incredibly efficient as someone who suffers from allergic reactions.
- Weight: 16.38 pounds
- Dust/Dirt Capacity: 1 quart
- Type of filtration (HEPA or Non-HEPA): HEPA
- Bagged or Bagless: Bagless
- Power: 1344 watts
- Warranty Length: 5-year service warranty
- Included tools and attachments: self-cleaning brush roll, dusting brush, anti-allergen complete seal, Duoclean Powerfins, and a pet crevice tool.
- Cord length: 30 feet
- It comes with sealed HEPA filtration which sucks about 99.99 percent of allergens.
- The vacuum cleaner is great for houses with pets with its pet power brush.
- It has a higher suction power which easily picks up sand from your floor.
- With its detachable heads, you can clean under the furniture and upholstery.
- With a 30 feet cord length, you can reach a whole room by plugging the vacuum at a single point.
- The vacuum cleaner may feel unstable sometimes as the bottom part is lightweight with the middle being too heavy.
With 1200 watts of motor power, this compact C1 Turbo Clean vacuum cleaner by Miele is a great option for you if you live in a coastal area. The high-power motor offers great suction power to the vacuum cleaner which can efficiently pick up any and all sand particles from your floor. It comes with six different suction power settings to choose from depending on how dirty your house is.
Having a large size dirtbag with 3.7 quarts capacity helps with cleaning a big house, I was able to clean a whole level in my house before needing to empty the dirtbag. The cord length is sufficient for covering an entire room before needing to unplug and plug the vacuum cleaner.
What I found great about this vacuum cleaner is its air cleaning system. It contains three layers of filtration with a sealed dirtbag, a motor protection filter that keeps sand particles away from the motor and an AirClean exhaust filter to offer a better air quality in your home after you are done vacuuming.
- Weight: 14.8 pounds
- Dust/Dirt Capacity: 3.7 quarts
- Type of filtration (HEPA or Non-HEPA): Non-HEPA
- Bagged or Bagless: Bagged
- Power: 1200 watts
- Warranty Length: 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Included tools and attachments: Upholstery nozzle, dusting brush, turbo brush, crevice nozzle
- Cord length: 18 feet
- It has six-level suction power with an easy-to-operate rotary dial.
- It has a large dirt bag capacity which doesn’t require frequent replacement.
- Its suction power is great for picking heavy debris from the ground with ease.
- The motor protection filter keeps sand particles from getting into the motor.
- The AirClean filter cleans the air in your house while vacuuming.
- With the high suction power and the cleaning attachments not having any wheels, it can take more energy to clean carpets.
- It doesn’t come with spinning brushes.
The Dyson V15 Detect Vacuum Cleaner is the best cordless vacuum cleaner to reach into places that a corded vacuum cleaner cannot.
If you suffer from allergies, then the Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner is another great vacuum cleaner with its HEPA filtration at a cheaper price point.
If you live in a big house and don’t want to change the dust bag too often while vacuuming, then the Miele Compact C1 Canister vacuum cleaner is a great option for you with its 3.7 quarts dirt capacity.
With our selection here of the best vacuums for picking up sand you have some great options depending on your preference for cordless, upright or canister.
Last update on 2023-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API