Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
The Dyson V15 is one of the most powerful cordless vacuums on the market right now. Starting at a premium price of $699 and offering additional options for as much as $899, the Dyson V15 is powered by an upgraded motor and comes with attractive new features. Its laser fluffy cleaner head and ability to detect and record microscopic particles have never been seen before and demonstrate that Dyson is willing to continue to innovate to stay ahead in the ever-growing competitive cordless vacuum market.
Let’s hear from the man himself, Sir James Dyson to introduce the Dyson V15 and its new innovative features:
In this Dyson V15 Review, we discuss the pros and cons of the new Dyson flagship, its innovative features, and an assortment of worthy alternatives for consideration. Let’s hop right into the review!
- An upgraded Hyperdymium motor that spins up to 125,000 rpm to generate the most powerful suction of any cordless vacuum right now.
- Over 60 minutes of runtime with an upgraded 7-cell battery. This is Dyson’s first cordless vacuum with a removable and replaceable battery, allowing for continuous use without need to charge if additional batteries are purchased.
- A new laser fluffy cleaner head to illuminate hard floors, making microscopic dust visible to the eye.
- An innovative, new anti-tangle conical brush to pick up hair without tangles. The cone shape redirects hair to the edge so that the brush never tangles up.
- A new LCD screen that shows amounts of different sized microscopic particles detected and picked up.
- Weighs less than a full-size vacuum, at 6.8 lbs or around 3 kg.
- A premium flagship comes at a premium price. The Dyson V15 ranges from $699 to $899 USD. Financing options are available.
- Despite the lesser weight relative to a full-size vacuum, it will feel heavy when used in handheld mode due to the weight distribution of the dustbin.
- This is a subject for debate, but Dyson’s 2 year warranty on cordless vacuums is significantly shorter than their 5 year warranty offered on corded vacuums, which generally cost significantly less.
The Dyson V15 comes with an assortment of cleaner heads, tools, and features that vary slightly depending on the model purchased:
- Suction power up to 230 AW with a 125,000rpm motor.
- LCD screen displaying remaining battery runtime and microscopic particle detection.
- High torque cleaner head.
- Laser Slim Fluffy cleaner head.
- Hair screw tool.
- Run time of 60 minutes (on low power mode).
- 5 hour recharge time with provided charger.
- Batteries swappable (with additional purchase of batteries).
- Weighs 6.8 lbs or 3 kg.
- 2 year warranty.
Features & Benefits: Dyson V15
- The V15 has an upgraded 125,000 rpm motor, and Dyson claims this generates the highest suction power of any cordless vacuum. Suction power is higher on both low and high power modes.
- Like previous models, the V15 intelligently adapts suction power depending on the surface (carpet or hard floor) on which the vacuum is rolling over. This is possible with the Auto mode.
- With the V15 comes a longer battery runtime of 60 minutes on low power. Note that this is a 20 minute increase in runtime despite low power providing higher suction power than the previous V11 model.
- In addition, the battery is now swappable so that the user can continue vacuuming without need for waiting on a recharge.
Special Cleaner Heads
- New cleaner heads with the V15 include a Laser Slim Fluffy cleaner head and a hair screw tool.
- The fluffy cleaner head now has a green laser that lights up hard floor so that microscopic dust can be seen by the naked eye. This makes it easier to be aware of floors that need cleaning. The laser seems to illuminate dust better than traditional while LEDs.
- The hair screw tool is an anti-tangle conical brush to pick up hair without tangles. The cone shape redirects hair to the edge so that the brush never tangles up. Traditional brushes tangle with hair quickly so that one needs to stop vacuuming and untangle and cut hair out of the brush before continuing.
Microscopic Particle Detection
- A new piezo sensor counts and measures the size of dust particles collected by the vacuum. The count and size distribution is displayed on the V15’s new upgraded LCD screen (which still shows battery runtime). This is a neat tech feature that provides assurance that the vacuum is working well, and also gives indication for the types of microscopic particles filling a room.
Buyer’s Guide: Dyson V15
- The Dyson Outsize variations of the V15 come with an XL High Torque cleaner head, a larger dustbin, and an additional battery for swapping. The wider cleaner head allows for cleaning large areas more quickly, and the larger dustbin and battery life make long cleaning sessions easier with less hassle. The Outsize is suitable for professional cleaning needs.
- The base model of the V15 does not include an additional battery for swapping. The more expensive models that come with additional cleaner heads also include an additional battery. An additional battery can be purchased separately, however.
- While the Dyson V15 can become loud in its high power mode, noise is largely not a problem for the Dyson V line anymore, after the high pitchiness of the V10 was corrected with the release of the V11. As a result the Dyson V15 is one of the quietest vacuum cleaners on the market during normal operation.
- While weighing just 6.8 pounds or 3kg, the V15 is a light vacuum compared to full-size vacuums. However, the dustbin is directly connected to the handle and extends quite far from the handle, so it can be quite cumbersome to hold and maneuver when used in handheld mode. This may be a greater consideration for those folks with arthritis or other wrist conditions. This weight distribution is not an issue when the wand is connected for floor cleaning.
- Unlike competitors like the Miele HX1 that has a slide button to keep the vacuum on, the Dyson V15 (and any other Dyson vacuum for that matter) requires the user to hold a button to keep the vacuum on. While this will not be an issue for most users, some users have expressed preference for a lock button to keep the vacuum on.
Alternatives to the Dyson V15
#1. Dyson V11
The V11 was released just a couple years ago in 2019 and is still a powerhouse cordless vacuum, now at reduced price thanks to the release of the V15. The V11 still comes with a strong, market-leading suction power with a respectable runtime of 40 minutes on low power. However, the battery is not removable, and the vacuum doesn’t come with the flashy new innovations like the laser and the particle detector. Still, for such a good vacuum, it is an excellent option to consider if the V15 is out of budget.
#2. LG Cordzero Cordless Stick Vacuum
The new LG cordless has been engineered to work in even the harshest conditions, adhering to the highest standards with various features to guarantee an unmatched cleaning experience. Essentially a stick mitt with suction capability, it yields a win-win situation for users and makes vacuuming a breeze.
#3. Samsung 70 Cordless Stick Vacuum
This Samsung 70 Vacuum features a powerful motor, extended suction power, easy controls, and diverse dusters and head types to meet all the cleaning needs. With a cordless design, it can be moved quickly from place to place, making it ideal for residential use and professional offices. With Samsung leading many other home appliance markets, it’s great to see the big manufacturer move into the premium cordless space to join Dyson and others.
#4. Miele Triflex HX1
The longtime vacuum manufacturer enters the premium cordless vacuum market with a three-in-one design that allows for shifting the main dust collector (dustbin) so that it is either connected right to the handle or close to the floor for easier maneuvering. With power and technological features to rival Dyson V11 and V15, the Miele HX1 range now gives more options to consider before defaulting to Dyson.
#5. Shark Anti-Allergen Cordless Vacuum
This Shark vacuum cleaner is an affordable option. It has various features such as suction power, noise reduction technology, and an additional 9-hour battery life that makes it usable for long periods without recharging. The machine comes with two-speed settings and comes in three different colors: black, red, and silver.
- Cost: 8/10
- Suction Power: 9.5/10
- Quality: 9/10
- Overall: 9/10
The new V15 by Dyson once again adopts new technologies and improves on past designs to once again lead the cordless vacuum market. Relentlessly keeping their position as a flagship vacuum manufacturer, Dyson adds a new laser for detecting microscopic dust and a particle counter to its new top-of-the-line range. Meaningful improvements in suction power, battery, and cleaner heads more than qualify the V15 as a generation leap in vacuum technology. We hope and expect to see Dyson continue to innovate as more top competitors like Samsung, LG, and Miele enter the premium, cordless vacuum market.