Home Vacuum Zone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Small apartments need small gadgets, whether a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner. They should all be compact, easy to use, yet fully functional. Vacuum cleaners are essential for keeping our house clean. They help us get rid of dust particles and enable us to breathe well.
I live in a 600 square foot condo in downtown New York. It’s tough to use regular-sized home appliances, and there’s limited space to store them once I am done. My apartment is also fully carpeted, and I have a lot of allergies, so I couldn’t live without vacuuming almost every day.
So I set out to find a vacuum cleaner that is compact yet powerful, and I will tell you this: it’s hard finding a vacuum cleaner that fits this description. I looked through all three major types of vacuum cleaners: robot vacuums; stick vacuums; and even canister vacuums.
All of these form factors have their pros and cons. I tried and tested many brands of cleaners and the three I am sharing below are my personal choices. But before jumping into the product reviews, let me share some of the factors I considered before buying my vacuum.
What Should You Look For in a Vacuum Cleaner for a Small Apartment?
Cordless vacuum cleaners can be handled effortlessly, and it offers more convenience compared to corded vacuum cleaners for a small apartment.
Cordless vacuum cleaners can be taken anywhere, and most of them are handheld. For small spaces, cordless vacuums are great if you don’t want vacuum wires to get tangled and become a hazard that can be tripped over or can cause damage to your belongings and furniture.
Tangle Free Brush
Did I mention that my place has wall-to-wall carpeting? Tangle-free brushes are a must if you expect to be cleaning dust frequently. All the products I have mentioned have unique brushes that can help make your carpet shine. Also, a tangle-free brush with adjustable brush height is an essential and handy tool for carpets. Furthermore, this feature also means it will be one of the best vacuums for long hair.
All Surface Types
My condo is fully carpeted now, but I have lived in places where there was hardwood or tiled floors, and since I am not on rent control, it won’t be long before I move to my next place.
It was important for me to find a vacuum that will work on different surfaces like floors, glass, carpet, hard floors. It had to work adequately on all types of surfaces. The products I have mentioned are good on all kinds of floors.
Filtration plays a vital role when it comes to cleaning. The HEPA filtration type helps to get rid of dirt and germs. It works efficiently on 99.99% of dust mites. Below, I have described products with either HEPA or non-HEPA filtration types. Adequate filtration will help you breathe easier by keeping dust and dirt within the vacuum unit.
I vacuum like crazy because of my allergies, so I need to be sure that if and when my device breaks down, there is help at hand to repair it.
It is critical to have a longer warranty period on the device. It will help you get your vacuum cleaner checked if you ever encounter issues with it. The vacuums below have a warranty period of five years and above.
Stick vacuum cleaners should have a runtime of at least 30-60 minutes so that you are not having to constantly charge them.
It is essential to have a good run time to clean your rooms in one go. The vacuums I have listed here have a runtime of at least 100 minutes.
No products found.
No products found.
I found this robot vacuum cleaner to be the best vacuum cleaner for studio apartments as it is perfect for my small apartment and can remove dirt and dust from all the nooks and corners. The large wheels could easily roll over my carpets to clean any sort of mess.
The dual-layer filter and high-performance helped me achieve a clean home without much fuss. The large 0.6L dust box could hold more dirt, and it reduced the frequency with which I had to empty it. It has several cleaning modes and pre-sets to ensure thorough and effortless cleaning.
- Cordless: Yes
- Brush: 4 side brushes
- Surface recommendation: carpet, floor, and glass.
- The filter type: Non-HEPA
- Power: 1200 pa
- Warranty: 12 months
- Runtime: 100 hours
- This petite little device doesn’t need a huge place to store like the other types of vacuums and is perfect for small apartments.
- The suction power of 1300 Pa helps get rid of dust film in the house.
- The suction power increases within 1.5 seconds when extra power is required for the best clean.
- It can work for 100 minutes on hardwood floors with consistency.
- Despite having a powerful motor and excellent suction power, the vacuum cleaner functions quieter than a microwave.
- The anti-scratch tempered glass top prevents any kind of scratch on the vacuum cleaner.
- The drop sensing tech prevents falls.
- It charges automatically, so it’s always ready to use.
- It has a good battery life so that it can be used for long hours.
- It doesn’t work as efficiently on low pile carpet.
No products found.
After the robot vacuum cleaner, I found this stick vacuum cleaner best for my small apartment. One of the main reasons I chose this one was the flexible silicone powerfins that it uses instead of bristles.
The bristles present in this cleaner helped me clean gaps and pet hair off the ground. It is the best stick vacuum cleaner for a studio apartment as it is lightweight, maneuvers on all floor types, and can be easily converted into a hand vacuum.
It can easily clean stairs and furniture with the help of a detachable hand vacuum. The product comes with a 5-year warranty period and it is a great cordless stick vacuum that can be handled effortlessly.
- Cordless: Yes
- Brush: Dusting brush
- Surface recommendation: Carpet above floors and hard floors.
- Filter Type: HEPA
- Warranty: 5-years
- Runtime: 50 minutes
- The hypervelocity accelerated suction provides good cleaning performance in small apartments.
- It can run for 50 minutes in the hand vacuum in standard mode.
- You can easily change the batteries as they are removable.
- The powerful brush roll helps dig the dirt deep into the carpets and directly engages with floors.
- You can get rid of pet hair with the help of a self-cleaning brush roll.
- The HEPA filtration system helps capture the dirt, dander, and allergens effectively in small apartments.
- You can target the dirt under furniture as this vacuum cleaner comes with a streamlined body shape.
- You can use a hand vacuum to clean lightweight above-floor cleaning.
- The XL dust cup comes with a removable and comes with a clean touch dirt ejector.
- You can illuminate hidden debris around the house with the help of LED lights.
- I faced some problems charging it initially, but now it charges properly.
- The vacuum is a little bit heavier than the other vacuum cleaners.
This canister vacuum cleaner is perfect for my small apartment as it is easy to carry and handy to use. It is effective on the floors with woodwork and different surfaces. I can easily clean stairs and small horizontal areas like moulding on doors and woodwork.
I loved that its suction is strong, adjustable, and leaves my floors spick and span. I can handle a variety of cleaning tasks with this vacuum cleaner. It helps me get rid of dirt, allergens, and pet dander strewn on the carpet. Because of this, it’s also one of the best canister vacuums for pet hair.
- Cordless: No
- Power: 1200 Watts
- Brush: Turbo brush
- Bagged: Yes
- Surface recommendation: carpet and hard floors
- Filter type: Non-Hepa
- Warranty: 2 years
- The lightweight and bagged canister cleaner is ideal for small apartments with hard floors and low pile carpeting.
- The compact body style allows it to be stored well.
- Depending on the six suction power settings, you can switch between six different floors.
- It comes with maximum maneuverability. It can easily clean underneath furniture and hard-to-reach places.
- You are provided with a filter bag, air clean exhaust filter, and motor protection filter.
- The product doesn’t come with an instruction booklet for customers.
- It is not a cordless vacuum cleaner, but I faced no issues using it in my small apartment.
All these products I have listed in this article are great for a small apartment in each of their respective categories. They are all small in size, and powerful enough to pick up dirt and grime from the toughest of surfaces. From these suggestions, I hope you are able to find a vacuum that is suitable for your smaller space.
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API